Pages

Sunday, December 3, 2017

What Camera Do You Use?

It doesn't matter.
Seriously.



I get this question a lot on Instagram, what camera do you use? Your photos are so pretty, but what camera do you use? I wish I could take awesome pictures but I just have X. And so on and so on.
I understand, you want think that it's that easy - that maybe if I have the gear, then I can take Ansel Adams quality photographs. EVERY PHOTOGRAPHER EXPERIENCES THIS. I experienced this. I started my photography hobby 11 years ago with a 5MP point and shoot. But it really doesn't matter what camera you have as long as it takes pictures. The act of taking a picture is just capturing light, so if you find that your images are lacking, shake it up! Maybe you don't have enough light, or maybe its poor composition - use the rule of thirds! It's not your equipment but your vision.

Alright now that I've said all of that, I decided to take roughly the same picture using 4 camera set ups. Two point and shoots, one camera phone and one dslr with a 50mm 1.4 lens. Can you figure out which one is which? Answers down below!
1
2 3
4
All the images were shot at Aperture f/1.8 except the camera phone I think because I can't dictate that.

Image 1 is a Sony RX100V a high end point and shoot I got for making videos... which I don't do anymore, RIP wallet.

Image 2 is using my standard camera, a Nikon D800 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens - I typically don't use this lens anymore but I decided to because the f/1.8 version of this lens is like 130 bucks(100 bucks if you are a canon shooter) and produces BEAUTIFUL background blur/bokeh - If I can say anything about getting a camera that you can swap out the lens for - get a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it - the camera body does not matter.

Image 3 is shot with my camera phone! Which is a iphone 6s+.

Image 4 is shot with a Canon G15 point and shoot.

Now that you see all the different options, which one is your favorite? And for those who are out there and wondering why I have such an expensive DSLR - I used to shoot professionally, Weddings, Engagements, New born babies, etc. When you have customers and you are shooting their once in a lifetime event, you'd definitely want a better camera so you can give them higher resolution images that they can print and hang on their wall. But for Instagram and blogging??? That camera is so unnecessary.

Some things about Cameras and lenses:
1. Megapixels really only matter if you plan on printing your images.
2. The wider the aperture/smaller the fstop number (f/2 and smaller) the more background blur you get.
3. The longer the focal distance the more background blur you get - but the less light it lets in to the camera sensor (need more light!)
4. If you shoot with a wide focal length, consider bringing your subject closer to the camera so you can get more background blur (try this with your eyes! bring your finger close to your eye and notice how the background drops off - same works for cameras!)
5. Light light light. You need light! It's so important! If you don't have a wider aperture then you're forced to raise your ISO on your camera which is equivalent to film speed - aka GRAIN - now if you want that artistic look - go for it.
6. If you are determined to get a better set up, always look at the lens - is the aperture nice and wide? Typical point and shoot cameras come with f/1.8 which is great. If you are using a DSLR - is the aperture a FIXED aperture or does it change as focal length changes? Etc.

So all I can say is pick your battles, figure out  your budget and decide what kind of vision you want to create. Don't let camera gear be what holds you back - if you want a laugh, youtube digitalrev's cheap camera challenge - nothing is more humbling seeing pro photographers MAKE IT WORK with toy cameras.

I hope you enjoyed this write up - let me know if you have any questions down below!

xoxo,
Jordan

4 comments :

  1. This is very helpful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if you ever have any questions :)

      Delete
  2. I love that my favourite shot was image #3 and then I find out it's from your camera phone! So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Utilizing get helps seo consultant cambridge to understand that your website is the inventor of all of the content onto it. In the event that you’ve ever endured additional websites make use of your content material after which proceeds to outrank you, you will be aware exactly how unfair that can feel. It takes place when Google crawls a site that has used your articles more than these crawls your own.

    ReplyDelete